Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Dar es Salaam and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator in Dar es Salaam; the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting the development of strategic partnerships with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, UN Agencies, and other partners and stakeholders in the capital, Dodoma. As a part of the Programme team, the incumbent will also contribute to the preparation of and support to project activities organized and/or supported by IOM Tanzania in Dodoma and country wide.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties and tasks:
1. Assist in responding to information requests and inquiries; process, draft and finalize official correspondence and other communications, including briefings/talking points; set up and maintain files/records; set up and facilitate meetings and consultations.
2. Assist the Programme Coordinator with monitoring developments in the government and related governmental policies, affecting the work of the organization.
3. Supports the planning and implementation of project activities in Dodoma and country-wide, particularly when aimed at strengthening IOM’s partnerships and collaboration with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania.
4. Assists in maintaining liaison with Ministries, governmental authorities, UN Agencies, national and international institutions, and NGOs, with the aim to inform on and coordinate ongoing programmes and activities, to build partnerships and to promote new activities.
5. Supports IOM’s networking activities with relevant stakeholders by arranging appointments, preparing missions, and providing targeted background information.
6. Participate in conferences, workshops, outreach activities and any other meetings as required.
7. Facilitate and organize joint field visits to project field sites.
8. Perform other duties required by the Programme Coordinator and the Chief of Mission.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, with at least two years of relevant working experience.
Experience liaising with UN agencies.
Experience liaising with government agencies of the United Republic of Tanzania.
Sound and proven understanding of migration issues in United Republic of Tanzania and in East Africa.
Experience working with United Nations Agency, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Government agencies or in the private sector.
Excellent knowledge of the SDGs.
In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
Proficient in computer software: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Words, Excel, power point and Internet Explorer).
Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Self-starter who can work independently under pressure.
Excellent problem-solving skills and eye for detail.
Excellent organization skills.
Assessment and secondary data research analysis skills.
Analytical, creative, and critical thinking.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required
Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.